Will the government protect my property boundaries?

A: Local governments do provide services to aid in boundary protection, including zoning by-laws and fence viewers. Zoning by-laws cover issues such as how close to a property line a house or other structure may be built. Fence viewers have prescribed procedures for assessing the costs and aesthetics of new fences when neighbours are in dispute. Beyond this owners must resolve their differences privately. Also note that the police will not get involved unless your property or belongings are damaged or destroyed in a criminal act.