I’m building a house on a parcel of land that has many trees. What do I need to know?

Building projects generally require a site plan that includes information from a Topographic Plan that typically shows the locations and measured diameters of deciduous and coniferous trees growing on the property. Some projects require the trees to be tagged by an arborist or the "drip line" of a group of trees to be highlighted. Be aware that in some jurisdictions removing trees will likely require preparing a “tree plan” for approval. You will also need to place protective hoarding around trees during construction. Site development may require the creation of a buffer zone in relation to the drip line. Certain types of trees, especially butternut and heritage trees, are given special protection. Speak to an Ontario Land Surveyor about the specific surveying requirements for your situation. It may be that each tree on the property may need to be surveyed and possibly trees that are within 6 metres of the property as well. If you wish to build a fence between trees growing along your property boundary, we recommend you hire a surveyor to stake the boundary location first. This is preferable to simply moving the new fence line inside your property, which effectively surrenders the use of your own land and risks losing the ownership of the portion of land over time. More questions about trees and your property boundaries? Contact us.