Live Chat Online

Questions & Answers

This is a collection of answers to questions about property boundaries, land surveys, and property owner rights submitted by people like you.

Ask a question

Are neighbours allowed to have their cement walkway up to the property line?


Every year, approximately the month of September, my neighbor tears apart their cement walkway only to build a new cement walkway that looks more "fashionable". However, they have no respect for damages they cause to my 12 year old walkway. They cause the walkway to my backyard to further deteriorate each year due to the machines they use, due to the posts to they hammered into the ground to hold the cement they poured, and due to power washing a top layer of their cement (then leaving me their cement ashes for me to have to clean), as well as walking on my walkway with heavy messy construction gear. They claim they are building their walkway on their property side and we only share one inch together where our fence was laid 17 years ago. Are my neighbors allowed to rebuild their cement walkway each year up to the property line without caring about the damage they cause to my side. I feel like I shouldn't even try to build/fix my walkway because each year they will just further damage anything I do. What are my rights? My neighbors are very disrespectful of the damage/mess they create on my side. I always have to clean up after their "yearly fashioned/trendy" cement looks. Are the allowed to have their cement walkway up to the property line. My walkway is one foot away from the property line, but they do not respect that, and damage it each year.

Technically speaking your neighbour is within their rights to build their walkway up to the property boundary (providing they are not violating any municipal zoning setback bylaws).  However that right does not extend to them damaging any features or structures on your side of the property line.  You have several pathways to resolution available to you:
1. Do nothing.
2. Resolve the situation with your neighbour.
3. Seek legal help.  A lawyer who specializes in land and boundary issues can help you determine how to use legal means to assert your rights.